Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Deserving Diva--Barbara King

I am sitting here in the quiet, well mostly quiet, trying to gather my thoughts on how overwhelmed I am at winning this award.  If you have ever been that person that never wins anything, I would be it. So to be honored with this award and opportunity has it's impact in just that I won.  But, as I came to realize the process of how the person is chosen, the nominations that were sent in, the heartfelt friends that I have, I am more overcome with awe than before.

I also, through this process had some time to get to know the staff at Suwanee Dental Care. When I walked into the building for the first time I had no idea what to expect.  But as I met the staff, walked around the offices I was amazed at how professional but also how much care everyone expressed.   I marveled at the wall that holds many, many pictures of mission trips that are taken to help others in poverty stricken countries. As I took it all in I realized that it wasn't a hard stretch to see why this office was holding this contest for the Deserving Diva Makeover. The heart of the staff and Doctors was evident throughout the building.

My last appointment was last week to go in for what we thought was a final evaluation. My week had already been so crazy because Olivia is in the hospital at Egleston. I had to get my Stepmom to meet me downtown, rush to Suwanee and then do a video interview.  I was so rushed and worried about being on time I did not have time to really think about this video interview I was supposed to participate in. I just knew I was going to mess the whole thing up in my rush.

In reality it was an interview and then the announcement. Dr. Williams had some final "questions" and was the one who told me I won. I remember being so nervous and thinking I hope I am answering all these questions correctly then all of sudden the questions became the announcement.  Wow.  I can't remember being so caught off guard and so shocked in all my life. I was able to call my husband and my daughter to hear both of them squeal and yell with excitement because of all people, they knew what this means to me and most of all my mouth.  In fact, all weekend every few minutes we would all say "hey Mom, you are getting your teeth fixed, woohoo".

I can say that I definitely had the need to get a dental makeover. Time and finances have taken a toll on my teeth over the last few years. So, when I eat, go out to eat with friends or talking with colleagues and friends I am constantly aware of my mouth. I have hid the pain, the suffering and the damage for years.  It has taken another toll as well, on my diabetes and my health. I have prayed for the last couple of years for a way to at least get the essentials done.  It is amazing to me how God had a plan and the plan not only included the essentials but also to have a full makeover so my whole mouth will have a renewed look and solid foundation for my teeth for a long time.

It is so hard to conceive still that I won. It seems so surreal. But, I am so thankful, so honored and so blessed to be a part of this process words cannot convey how I truly feel.

1 comment:

  1. You did such a good job at hiding it, Barb, but we all knew you needed this. When I heard you had so many broken teeth, I knew financially it was impossible for you, since Olivia's health takes first place.

    Thank you Suwanee Dental, for choosing such a beautiful person for this makeover!

    ReplyDelete